- Draw on what you've learned this semester to produce a rhetorically-effective, digital portfolio of your work.
- Consider concepts related to digital writing and rhetoric in the production of a born-digital web portfolio.
- Reflect on your writing and educational experiences.
- Produce a digital portfolio that will aid you in your professional future.
Writing portfolios showcase an individual’s best work and highlight the range of professional skills that a writer possesses. For the final project in this class, you will create a digital portfolio that demonstrates the knowledge and skills that you have developed from your classes in the Professional Writing curriculum. Portfolios will include a statement of educational and professional experiences, a résumé, and at least five documents that are representative of your knowledge and work.
All portfolios must be curated and organized thoughtfully, accessibly, and usably. You are welcome to use any platform to design your portfolio.
There are two deliverables for this assignment:
- Digital Portfolio (Website). This portfolio will include a statement of educational and professional experiences, a résumé, and at least five documents that are representative of your knowledge and work. The work you include does not need to come from this class. However, the presentation and design of that work should be influenced by our readings and conversations on digital writing and rhetoric, content strategy, and usability / accessibility. When deciding what five documents to showcase, ask yourself: What work best represents me as a writer, editor, researcher, or designer? What best represents my interests, values, and expertise?
- You will also submit a 500-word reflection about the choices you made in designing your portfolio and how it represents your knowledge and skill sets as Professional Writing majors or minors.
A few other important notes:
- If you have taken Document Design and Visual Rhetoric, you know that documents include not only print texts like essays and papers but also digital texts like infographics, podcasts, presentations, and design projects. You should include projects using any modality or technology, provided they represent you and your work well.
- Choose your platform based on your goals: Do you want to highlight a lot of visual design elements or focus more on written content? A few options for website builders are WordPress, Wix, and Weebly. If you want to go more in-depth than what these platforms offer, talk to me and I can suggest more options.